Monday, September 10, 2012

 

Here's to the Paralympians

The Paralympics came to a close on Sunday. I would have liked to watch it but unfortunately there was no television coverage.Thank God though for YouTube which allowed me to see several clips that not only took my breath away but also gave me new admiration for the triumph of the human spirit. Watching the blind and their guides and other physically disabled run races a childhood story came to mind.

There was once a little steam engine who had a long train of cars to pull. She was doing well until she came to a steep hill. No matter how hard she tried she could not move the cars. Did she give up? No, she tried several avenues until she found a solution. As the cars began to move up the steep hill the little engine began to sing " I think I can, I think I can,  I think I can,  I think I can." And the seemingly impossible happened and soon the cars were over the hill and down the other side. On the plain the little steam engine could pull the train herself. So she thanked the little engine who had come to help her and said goodbye. And off she went merrily on her way singing "I thought I could,  I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Like the steam engine the Paralympians had to face enormous challenges. They could not succeed on their own but needed the support of relatives, coaches, friends et al who believed in their ability and allowed their dreams to blossom. They are all winners because they chose not to feel sorry for themselves but to embrace life despite their limitations. We all could take a page from their book

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?