Tuesday, January 04, 2005

 

Superstitions

Last night a brown grasshopper flew in the house and right away this friend said something bad is going to happen.One the other hand a green one is said to be a sign of good things about to happen.Now these are just one of the many beliefs that people swear by.It got me thinking about superstitions and some of the more common ones.

The no 13 is always seen as being very unlucky and when the 13th falls on a Friday it becomes doubly important.The day is called Black Friday and even Hollywood has gotten into the act with their Friday the 13th movies.I can't say I have seen any Fri 13th that was noted for anything terrible happening.Well,although I was not yet born I know that when the volcano erupted in 1979 it was a Good Friday as well as a Black one.

Easter time has its own peculiar customs.I have heard it said that if you cut a peas tree on Good Friday it will bleed.Then there is this story about putting the white of an egg in a glass and by sunset the egg would have taken a shape which would determine your future.The funniest one I have heard was that if you hit a snake also on Good Friday you would see its feet.

Ever heard when you have to scratch your middle hand that you will be getting some money? Or if you hear a ringing in your ear it means that somebody is calling your name? Grandparents and older persons would insist that sweeping the house after 6 pm would mean sweeping away your luck.

Who knows where these stories originated but they have been passed down through generations and have become part of the culture.What are the superstitions in your part of the world?

Comments:
Hi Abeni,
Believe it or not, pretty much the same as where you are. Seems the Caribbean has more stuff in common that we think of at face value.

There is one about opening an umbrella inside the house leading to bad luck.
 
Scratchie's right, Kami, we share a common culture. Mi Grandma used to say, "Never rest a hat or a handbag 'pon de bed!" She thought that would lead people straight to de almshouse.
 
Abeni, I have good lucks on 13.. I mean I always have good news on many 13s.. or numbers related to 13
I must be a devil huh?

There is a black cat near my cousin's house. AT night when I come from his house, sometimes I see it.. and I tend to get bad lucks after that immediately or near....

Well wadda know. I am not so sure. There are lot of things in nature that are best left as it is.
 
Yea abeni I've basically heard all those superstitions in Barbados as well.
Do you guys have the one about if your feet get sweep you wont get married. lol.
 
Lol,maybe we do but I don't remember hearing it
 
Kami, there is also one saying here that if a lizard drops on a woman she is going to get pregnant or is already pregnant.
 
scratchie wha happen if a fella get igrant an start gine bout throwing lizards at wumen, lol.pure panic set in, lol :-)
 
Lol,Scratchie that lizard one real funny.I had a few drop on me and I still eh pregnant
 
Kami, we have another one in JA that says if your eye starts to twitch for no reason it either means rain is goin' ta fall or you're goin' ta cry; and then there's one that says if a pregnant woman has a cravin' and doesn't get de exact food she craves, then her baby will be born wif a mark--strange, indeed!
 
Mel,I know about that pregnant woman craving thing.One my friends has this red mark on one side of her face and there is this story to it.When her mom was pregnant with her she was hit in her face by her brother.They say that the marking on my friend face is identical to how her mother bled.Strange huh?
 
STRANGE! (:-o)
 
I fly on the 13th all the while. Just last December, I was in the air on the 13th.....Oh, but that wasn't a friday nuh. Mi shame.

Anyway, my thing is that I never fly without my bible in my hand luggage. The one time I forgot it, I said "yes now lord, today is the day init". Nothing happened. So I thought maybe I don't need to carry it. But I still do. The last time I travelled though, I told my self that I should get one of the little new testament ones, to make my hand luggage lighter. You see, the bible is hard cover! Very very heavy!
 
I do the same thing as yamfoot. If I'm leaving home travelling by plane or train or whatever my bible has to go in my handluggage.
 
I just registered for a certification exam on this 13th(Jan 13th) . Hope it will bring me luck
 
YF and Jdid.Y'all too coward.

Good luck Swags
 
I was born on the 13th of October. Does that make me bad luck?
 
I always seem to have a rash of bad luck/strange happenings on a full moon. gotta start throwing hexes at madam lunar up in there in the sky.
 
I'm working on a personal project of researching the 13 & it's origins,I'd really like to pick your brain. would you mind allowing me 2?

Poetic_Blessing
TheWalk.us

~pb
 
Lol.I doubt i'd be much help
 
when my mom was pregnant with my sister, she was watching a scary movie, then she jumped, and grabbed her arm. my sister was born with a brown circle on her arm in the exact spot that my mom grabbed.

Weird huh?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?