Friday, January 14, 2005

 

Security lapse

On the front page of a local newspaper is a story of a young businessman who was arrested for attempting to board his flight with a gun in his carry on luggage.From all reports he would have left here with the gun in his possession,claiming that he forgot it was in his briefcase.It makes you wonder how did he clear airport security at Arnos Vale.Or,is it a case of because of who he is that security checks were waived?.I know for a fact that they are less than thorough with certain members of society when they are leaving this island.

This,however calls for urgent action by the Min of National Security in collaboration with the Airport authorities.It also brings into question regional airport security because it appears the gun was undetected when he went into Barbados. But,I credit the local aiport with more blame and if it is is found to be at fault some heads are supposed to roll for such a serious security breach.No passenger should be allowed to be on any flight bearing firearms.Needless,we bury our heads in the sand and think that nothing serious can happen in our part of the world.

Comments:
Hi Kami,
I hear you and agree with you. If it is indeed a lapse someone should be accountable for it. Last time I travelled I was subject to 5 different searches which I guess was because of my ethnic looks. At one point after check number 3, I just didn't bother to put my shoes back on. I walked through the airport with shoes, belt, wallet and travel documents in hand.
 
thats scary.

last time i travelled there was a guy at the airport in Toronto trying to take a hammer in his carry on bags and wanting to know why he cant take a hammer.
 
ha ha ha ha Scratchie...I must try that on one of my trips especially when I go thru Miami airport.

My defense of Barbados security is this, did this traveller have to go thrught the security checks or was he just intransit in Barbados. Anyhow, lack of security is unacceptable and regardless of who the person is, it needs to be addressed. I know how laksidasial our Carribean workers can be most of the time.
 
Scratchie travel de Mutabaruka way (athough Muta prob'ly wearin' shoes at airports these days)! Kami, there are allegedly useless & costly x-ray machines at Norman Manley Airport, which can't function well because employees discreetly unplug them when certain passengers' luggage is bein' scanned. If that's true, then it just compounds de regional problem.
 
Man, I tell you something, that is a serious security lapse for true! The truth of the matter is that all the extra "safety measures" they put in place don't really make us any safer! In fact, they're more of a hindrance than anything else, yet people are building entire careers and industries off of selling people these lies!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?