Monday, December 20, 2004

 

Christmas Songs

Yesterday,while putting up the tree I was listening to the radio but the funny thing was the announcer was playing R&B.Actually,it was some nice music but I didn't understand why with 6 days to Christmas the emphasis was not on Christmas music.I had the radio on for about 3 hrs and the only Christmas song they played was Every year,Every Christmas by Luther Vandross.

For traditional Christmas songs O holy night is my all time favourite closely followed by It came upon a midnight clear.I never get tired of hearing O Holy Night especially the Mariah Carey version. Those traditional songs make me remember my grandmother this time of year too.She had this beautiful voice which I envied and was always singing sacred songs.I rambling so back to the topic at hand.For modern music I like the Jackson 5 album,Kenny and Dolly,Stevie Wonder and closer to home the parang from Trinidad.Which song do you all just love?

When I was small(make that younger cos I still have not grown) one of the highlights of the season was what we called serenading or "sing outs". A choir,formal or informal would make the rounds to houses in the village and start singing on your doorstep.In between the singing a member of the choir would break into a speech which was usually very funny especially when it was the informal choirs.After the singing and the speeches the grown ups would give them money as well as drinks and food.Sadly,it seems to have died out but I think it is worthy of a revival.

Comments:
Kami, we never went carol-ing in JA, but I did love the school-choirs' rendition ov Christmas carols and folk songs all mixed together. Ah love de entire Stevie Wonder Christmas album from way back when.
 
my favorite christmas song was one by this calypsonian about santa bringing a trumpet an a consantinea for a lil boy. doan know what it name.
 
Hi Abeni,
Things have been really quiet here too. I like the Luther Vandross song you mentioned. The one I've fallen for is by Natalie Cole: No More Blue Christmasses. I like most of the songs that have feelings to them. I even listen to Grandma got Run over by a Reindeer.
My youth group used to do the carolling thing but times have changed in the last twenty five years. Too much violence so the carollers are afraid.
 
Scratchie I don't think I heard no more blue cmas before and I like those fun carols too.CNN was playing a funny one during the weather news.The fear factor must be really a big factor in the decline.
Jdid,I know that song too..it kinda sad eh
 
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002HGK/qid=1103566188/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/104-1535693-0502359?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Hi Abeni, cut and paste the above to your address bar. It takes you to a sampler page. It is #4 on the album.
 
Thks Scratchie.I checked it and never heard it before.Sounds nice tho
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?