Monday, November 01, 2004

 

In memory of Grandmother

Today Is All Saints'Day when we light candles in memory of our deceased.So, inevitably my thoughts today are with my grandmother who I often wish was around for me to talk to. When I was small she had the warmest, most comfortable lap and no matter what the problem was, ranging from a scrape to some boy trouble,I always felt she could solve it.I learnt so many things from my grandmother.It was from her lips I learnt about the God with whom she walked,how to forgive(can't say I have mastered it)how to write as did all the grandchildren who grew up within her home.It was from her biblical discipline was administered and although at the time of its administration,nothing seemed fair,today we reap the benefits of that upbringing.

She was the best storyteller ever with an amazingly ability to relate the tales of Anansi the spiderman as well as bring to life the stories of the Bible. Did I mention she was an excellent cook? Now,I was always the picky eater and my Mom never had the patience to get me to eat.Gran would make me the things I liked and then feed them to me.

She was a survivor,having lost her mother at a tender age.Perhaps,it was this loss and need that fed her tender,strong and compassionate care for her children of three generations and indeed of the neighbourhood.My grandmother told me she never earned a salary after quitting teaching when she got married.But she believed she was her own currency as she said she was wealthy in friendships and resources.

Her sense of order and concern for all of us was great.So much so that when she was dying she summoned us all and accordingly we came.And she blessed us all,gave sound and helpful counsel and said goodbyes to those of us who had to return abroad.And in her words we were not to cry because All was well.

I have no doubt all is well with her.But my selfish side wishes sometimes wishes she had not left. But questioning God is futile as I well know and besides her life was rich and full.All I can say is I hope when she looks down on me I would cause her to smile more than frown.

Rest In Peace.


Comments:
she is gone but yet she lives on in your heart and memories. R.i.P
 
Your Grandmother is gone from the flesh, but her spirit lives on to watch over you as she did when she was here.
Take comfort in that. Dr. D.
 
Hi Abeni, I'm AngryDog. Just started reading your blog the other day. I definately relate to you with respect to how you described your grandmother. Mine was the same. In fact, she took me in from I was 6 weeks old and raised me as her own. It's been a little over a year since she left this world, but I still miss her. I thank God every day for the type of man that she raised me to be. Proud, strong, honorable, God-fearing...those are the words that best describe her. May your grandmother rest in peace, just as I wish the same for mine.

http://dogvex.blogspot.com
 
Yeah AD.Those feelings deep and they run real strong.Sometimes,I think of her and I smile because she is out of all pain now.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?